Monday, November 14, 2011

Caramel Apple Sundaes



One of my favorite candies are caramels! I just love the super sweet taste and creamy texture. So when I saw a recipe for caramel sauce with apples I knew I had to try to make it to eat on vanilla ice. I was a bit nervous because I do not have much practice with candy making and I think it really takes skill. But I tried this anyway. And I've made it 4 times until it turned out semi-correct. But it was still so delicious! I don't think I let it cook long enough to get the deep caramel color, but it still tasted good! Maybe you can try the recipe and see how it works for you and then let me. I just love caramel apples too much to give up on this!


I am rather ashamed to write about this, especially if a certain Caramal Maker reads the post. It just makes me appreciate her candies more and what talent and precision it takes to make a good caramel.




I got the recipe from the Cookin' Canuck.


2 1/2 medium gala apples


1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar


1/2 cup heavy cream


2 Tablespoons unsalted butter


3/4 quart vanilla ice cream






Core apples and thinly slice, cutting each slice in half (I peeled my apples too but that's up to you).


Spread sugar evenly in a large skillet set over medium heat. Let the sugar sit, untouched, until it begins to melt.


Using a fork stire the sugar until it has completely melted and turned a medium caramel brown.


Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream. Stand back a little because it will foam and may splatter. Return to the heat and whisk until the sauce is smooth - this is where I always have trouble because the sugar solidifies onto my whisk but I found if you keep cooking the sauce. It will all incorporate nicely.


Set over low heat, whisking occasionally, until ready to serve.


In the meantime, melt butter in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the apples and cook until the apples are beginning to turn brown.


Add the apples to the caramel sauce and stir until they are coated.


Using four bowls or short glasses. layer the ice cream with the caramel apples, drizzling the extra sauce over top. Serve immediately.








If you're not an experienced caramel maker like me, don't worry if you need to try this recipe a couple times - even if you don't get a traditional caramel consistency and color, it will still be tasty with your ice cream. I know from experience.







1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious!! I need to branch out in my dessert making :)

    ReplyDelete