It had been awhile since I was in the smoothie making habit and I'm glad to be back at it. The girls LOVE to enjoy one for breakfast with me, which I like because it's easy and healthy.
I'd like to run a weekly series of the smoothies we've been enjoying. Not really recipes per se, but more of an inspiration of different ingredient combos.
This morning we had the following -
1 handful spinach/kale/chard mix
3/4 cup cashew milk
2 ripe bananas
1 cup frozen mango
1/2 -1 Tablespoon chia seeds
Blend greens and milk. Add bananas and mango. Blend well. Add chia seeds and stir or shake.
- This is the first time we have had cashew milk. It obviously has a very nutty taste that has taken me awhile to get used to but the girls like it. I'd use any milk or even plain water in its place.
- You can use frozen or very ripe bananas. Mine were not frozen because I had ripe bananas to use up so our smoothie wasn't very thick.
- I don't blend the chia seeds just to keep them intact. Also, I pour out the girls smoothie before I add the chia - I just don't think they'd like the texture.
- Use any greens you have or that are on sale - I got this Wegman's mix (pictured above) because it was something different and it would be a good variety for salads too.
- I usually blend my liquid and greens first before adding the fruit.
I love these superfood seeds... they expand in your stomach to make you feel fuller longer!