Friday, January 8, 2010

Just Beet It!

The second healthy food on my list are beets. Just look how beautiful the color and texture of a beet is:

I'd never really worked with beets before. I do not like pickled eggs and I believe that's how most people consume beets but I just can't go there.

p
Instead I found a beet and horseradish dip in the January O magazine and thought I'd give it a try. You're probably thinking, that doesn't sound good (because that's what I was saying) but turns out it's pretty tasty! The horseradish is very subtle.

1 medium beet
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1/2 teaspoon salt - I used sea salt so I added a pinch more
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon chopped chives or dill - I did not add herbs simply because I didn't have any on hand.

Peel then grate beet on the largest grating blades of a box grater. Mix all ingredients together. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving to let flavors meld. Keep refrigerated. Serve with chips or, as my one taste tester suggested, with sliced baguette. May by even good served atop a steak!



I just love the pink color!

Why the beet is good for you:

  • high in folic acid
  • high level of anti-carcinogens
  • contains betacyanin which is the red pigment that is obsorbed in the blood stream and can increase the oxygen carrying ability of blood
  • high in good carbs and low in fat

Just be careful.... even though the color is pretty they have evil intensions... they stain your hands and clothes very quickly!

u

3 comments:

  1. Those are some fine-looking beets!

    I've never been much of a beet eater either. They always seem so attractive and inviting, but when the time comes to actually turn them into some sort of a dish to eat, one is left scratching one's head. I'll give your dip a try, although I might double the horseradish since I prefer eye-watering over subtle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Jake :)
    It seems weird that I decided to try a recipe containing 2 ingredients (beets and horseradish) that I do not care for. But I figured sour cream, salt and pepper make everthing better and I was right!
    Do you grow beets in your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colour is amazing, and look at the pattern on the peeled beetroot. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete