Wednesday, August 18, 2010

French Breakfast Puffs by The Pioneer Woman

Doing more cooking from The Pioneer Woman's Cookbook. Love the book! Thanks again Bec!

I made muffins - or French Breakfast Puffs - last Saturday morning. These were so good and hard to stop at 1. Or 2.

For Muffins:
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon gound nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup Crisco shortening
2 whole eggs
1 cup milk

For topping (this is less than the PW calls for because I had a lot left over):
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.

In another large bowl, cream together 1 cup sugar and shortening. Then add eggs and mix again.

Add flour mixture and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.

Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Once out of the oven move muffins to a cooling rack.

In a bowl, melt the butter. In a seperate bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon.


Dip baked muffin tops (PW says to dip entire muffin but I find if you do the tops, it's enough) in butter, coating thoroughly, then coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

These are a great treat! I had enough batter to make about 14 muffins but because I didn't have any other muffin tins or small baking cups, I just made a few huge muffins and it turned out fine.

I used to make a recipe very similar to this from Martha Stewart only I used a mini muffin tin. You could do that here and reduce baking time.

Here's a muffin I coated all over. It was just too sugary for my taste.



3 comments:

  1. Yay! Every time you use the cookbook I feel so happy. :) These pastries look great... do you think this is the type of thing a wife would make her husband? Let me know because I know this girl who just got married and needs to know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, you need to make these for your husband! He will like them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious! So good, in fact, that I might have to bust out my apron and make them!

    ReplyDelete