Monday, October 19, 2009

Mexico was delicious!

Adam and I experienced a wonderful three night stay at the El Dorado Royale in Cancun, Mexico! For my birthday, I wanted to go somewhere tropical but easy on the wallet so Cancun it was! Ok... so you're thinking, crazy and wild Cancun doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Well, you're wrong! I went to the Riu Cancun last November and loved it but the El Dorado Royale was even quieter and more romantic than I was expecting. El Dorado is an adult only, spa resort with several restaurants serving up delicious gourmet food. While all of our dining experiences weren't perfect, we enjoyed some pretty great meals.

We had lunch at JoJo's all three days we were there. We not only fell in love with the view, we also enjoyed our server Samuel (we had him all three days) and the conch chowder!


The creamy and flavorful conch chowder.



To satisfy the fried food craving that can even attack you in paradise, Adam tried the fish and chips served with guacamole.




Two different times, Adam enjoyed this melon and spinach salad, topped with unidentifiable yet delicious cheese.

The view from our table at JoJos.



For a lunch, I had the lamb stew.



We loved the guacamole and pico de gallo at JoJos! It wasn't on the menu but I was craving chips and salsa, and when I found out they have these, I ordered them every chance I got!


Delicious ice cream - the cocnut was my favorite - served on top of sugar brittle at JoJos.


Mexican cake surprise that Adam enjoyed very much (and he's not a huge cake lover).


Here is the bottle of wine and the cheese and meat for my birthday pre-dinner snack.

Our first morning at El Dorado, we ordered room service breakfast. Not bad but then we discovered a beautiful restaurant call La Isla where we ate our other 2 breakfasts. The fruit and bread buffet was beautiful. I enjoyed toast with nutella and caramel spread, sprinkled with chopped nuts and toasted coconut. I have to remember to re-create this snack during the cold winters in Pennsylvania!



I did a very poor job of taking pictures at dinner. I'm always taking photos and dinners in Mexico served as a break. Even though we didn't photograph every part of our 4 course meals, between this post and the previous post, you can see that we ate (and drank!!) well. Next time you're looking for a getaway, I recommend El Dorado Royale!


l

4 comments:

  1. Please stop posting pictures from Mexico.... all it does it make me more and more jealous! :) Just kidding. I love hearing about your experiences. It does make me jealous though!! Everything looks tasty, but I have a feeling anything would taste good when you've got that view!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post from Karismahotels on Twitter, and I have to agree that the food at El Dorado is amazing! We spent our honeymoon at El Dorado Maroma a few weeks ago and every meal we ate was delicious -- from the fruit to the fish fry on the beach to the Mexican and Italian and Japanese dinners. I haven't recapped our trip yet, but there will be LOTS of food photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - Thanks for looking at my blog! The El Dorado Royale was great so I'm sure Maroma is too! It was so nice to leave PA for a few days right when the fall weather was coming.

    And thanks to Karisma Hotels and El Dorado Royale for the Tweets!

    ReplyDelete