Monday, March 16, 2009

My Fritquiche



It was just Arielle and I for dinner last night and she was in the mood for eggs so she suggested frittata. My mom makes a frittata she likes but we couldn't find the recipe and I ended up making something that was a mix between a frittata and a quiche.

1 potato, cleaned and chopped
2 sausage links - I used Italian
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
6 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper
1 teaspoon freeze dried parsley - fresh can be used, a chopped handful
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
In a small saucepan, add potatoes & a pinch of salt. Add water to cover potatoes. Heat to medium-high and simmer until potatoes are tender. Drain and reserve cooked potatoes.
In a small fry pan, cook the sausage in some water until cooked through. Put on a plate, let cool briefly and slice into bite-sized pieces.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large fry pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add potatoes; cook another minute. Add sausage. Let heat on medium-low while you fix the eggs.
In a medium bowl, add eggs, cream, salt, pepper, and parsley. Beat well - til a little frothy. Pour egg mix into fry pan. Let cook a minute or two while scrapping down sides. Slide egg mix into Pam-sprayed pie plate (or keep in pan if it's oven proof) and top with Mozarella.
Cook for 12-15 minutes until "fritquiche" puffs and has a nice, golden color. (Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't overbake and dry out)

Adding the chopped potatoes to the pot to boil them.

Chopping the green pepper.


Frying the onions, green peppers and potatoes.

Whisking the eggs and cream.

The parsley I used in the eggs. We keep this in our refrigerator.

I enjoy to make quiches so putting it in the oven to finish off, made me think of a crustless quiche. Otherwise the heaviness and use of mozzarella made me think of the Italian frittata. Yum!
Other meats like shredded chicken or cubed ham could have been used. Fried mushroom slices would have been a good addition as well.

To me, I don't know if it was just what we ate growing up, but I always saw eggs as strictly a breakfast food. But after spending time in France, Spain and Jamaica, I have found that eggs are a staple base for dinners and lunch. This 'fritquiche' is very substantial due to the potatoes and sausage, and after a large piece, I was quite satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment