Monday, March 9, 2009

A new cookbook

After a few days of anticipation, last Friday I received a new cookbook I ordered online - John Ash: Cooking One on One. A friend of mine, Tim, who is a chef, let me borrow his copy and I liked it so much, I wanted a copy of my own. I know of a certain book store website that I have been dying to use: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/. Better World Books uses their proceeds to fund literacy programs throughout the world. They sell new and used books, and the shipping is free. I found John Ash's book used for about $7 and besides missing the dust jack and a few dings on the hardcover, the interrior of the book is perfect!
For students: the site was originally created for buying and selling textbooks, which they still do today.

Not only can you find great books for great prices at this site, the sales fund a good cause!
Back to the cookbook... There are tons of great, versatile recipes for marinades, sauces, vinaigrettes and salsas. As the name implies, there are detailed tips to explain how the recipes work. There is a wine pairing section, cooking time charts, a detailed glossary in the back, and descriptive introductions to each of the chapters.
Some dishes I am looking forward to:
Soba and Chicken in Green Tea Broth
Grilled Tequila-Lime Marinated Salmon
Vanilla Baked Peaches and Blueberries
Oven-Dried Mediterranean Salad
Basic Red Wine Pan Sauce for Hamburgers or Steaks
Yogurt & Mint Marinade
Pineapple Melon Salsa
Wow... those are just a few... I have a lot of work ahead of me!

1 comment: