Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bulgur & Roasted Vegetable Salad

This week I got my first issue of the Food & Wine magazine. In bold lettering on the cover, I was happy to read 40 Healthy Recipes. After weeks of Adam and I talking about eating better, this issue gave me a kindly nudge to get started. Last night I made Bulgur Salad with Lightly Roasted Vegetables.
=
I bought the bulgur at The Healthy Grocery in Camp Hill. I know most health food stores have it in their bulk section, as does Wegmans.
=
Also, whole grains, like bulgur, are on my 20 Health Foods list - a list I sadly haven't blogged about in awhile but will get better.
-
Here's how it goes, as adpted from Food & Wine:
p
2 cups coarse ground bulgur, rinsed
2 cups hot water
1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
2 carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
Sea salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 medium cucumber - peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
Crush red pepper
=

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cover the bulgur with hot water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes.
=

Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the zucchini, carrot and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Roast for 12 - 15 minutes. Stir half way through.
=

Fluff the bulgur with a fork. Stir in the tomato paste. Fold in the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, cucumber and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.

I think I would like it warm but it was room temperature when we ate it. Later today I will eat it chilled.

Now I'm once again hooked on bulgur! I just got done eating Bulgur Breakfast Porridge. I just found a recipe for Green Lentil and Bulgur Soup I may try soon too!

No comments:

Post a Comment