Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Bulgur Breakfast Porridge

Now I've never been a fan of hot oatmeal - as a child or now - until I tried Quaker's Simply Harvest Instant Oatmeal. It was super good! Then one day I couldn't find it in the grocery store so I assumed it was discontinued (or my specific grocer dropped it from inventory) and kind of forgot about hot cereals until about a month ago...

I recently bought bulgur to make tabbouleh so I had some extra in the pantry. Shortly after, I found this recipe in an Everyday Food magazine (forget the issue) and thought it would be a filling breakfast. It is and to me, it's a nicer, more delicate consistency than oats.

1/2 cup medium-grind bulgur
1/4 cup raisins
1 cup milk
1 cup water
pinch salt
brown sugar
berries

In a medium saucepan, combine bulgur, raisins, milk, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Continue to simmer on medium heat, stirring often, for 15 minutes - until it's the consistency of oatmeal. Serve with brown sugar and berries.


This recipe serves 2.

I've made it twice - the first time with fresh strawberries and the second time with thawed frozen blueberries (pictured).

1 comment:

  1. Amazing post. Thanks for sharing... keep it up and we will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete