Ok, so this wasn't totally my idea - I got it from Martha Stewart - but I think they're a nice touch for an outdoor party!
I used to be an avid scrapbooker and I have a ton of supplies, especially pretty papers.
You'll need: a round can to use as a template, colorful paper, wooden skewers, glue sticks, glue gun, scissors
1. Use a can - about 4 or 5 inches in diameter - to trace circles on the paper.
2. Cut the circles out - some with crimping sheers.
3. Cut out a small pie-slice (about 1/4 in.) of the circle. Discard.
4. Curl the paper around to make an umbrella. Use a glue stick to secure the shape.
5. Poke the sharp end of the skewer through the top and dabbed it with hot glue. I held each on in place for a few seconds until the glue cooled.
And tah-dah! Beautiful drink umbrellas! You may need to shorten the length of the skewer depending on the size of your glasses. You can also make smaller umbrella with a smaller circle template (a can or cup can be used to trace around).
Not many people used them for their drinks but they add color to the table!
Photo by Rebecca