Tuesday, June 9, 2009

East Meets West Burger

The weekend I made a unique burger recipe I found from the June issue of Country Living (I'm a new subscriber - it's my first issue!). This recipe is from Ming Tsai, chef-owner of Blue Ginger in Wellesley, Massachusetts. It's called the East Meets West Burger, an apt name for this burger with plenty of spicy Asian flair.

A hoisin-lime sauce is used a a barbeque sauce and generously brushed onto the burger when half way done cooking. This is enough sauce for glazing 6 burgers. You can make more and reserve it if you want to have some extra to top on the burger once on the bun.

2 Tablespoons minced garlic (I used 2 cloves)
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger
canola oil
1 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup canola oil
Salt and pepper

In a small saucepan, saute garlic and giner in canola oil until soft. Stir in hoisin sauce and cook for one minute. Transfer to a blender, add lime juice and oil; blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

After the burgers are done, top with a slice of sharp cheddar and allow to melt on grill.

Grill the buns (sesame if you can find them) if desired.

To top the burger, we used sliced avacado, tomato and iceburg lettuce, as well as a hot mustard - a mixture of Dijon and red chili sauce (or paste).

This was a very unique burger - lots of flavors going on. Everyone enjoyed it!
Don't be shy with the mustard - it gives it a real kick! I'm not even a fan of mustard and I loved this!

1 comment:

  1. The title of this post makes me think of the movie Rush Hour! I love mustard, so I bet I'd like this one a lot!

    ReplyDelete