Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Party Series - Black Bean Salsa

This begins my series of posts on throwing a summer party. A refreshing and healthy salsa is a great appetizer and snack to have available at a party from the arrival of the first guest to the departure of the last one. People can nibble on the following concoction for a long time - I know I can't get a fill of this salsa. Thanks to Paula Deen, I have found a great go-to recipe for entertaining and for an any-time snack:


2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (17-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1/8 to 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight. Taste and add salt, pepper or more lime juice as necessary. Serve with tortilla chips as an appetizer, or with grilled chicken breast as a meal (can't wait to try this!).

For Arielle's party, I doubled this recipe and it was plenty for a large crowd. Use Paula's recipe as a guide - I began estimating according to what ingredients I had and what looked good. I realize I should have used a little more chopped tomotoes when it was too late. I was also generous with the lime juice - mostly to perserve the avacados, which I added right before serving.


At the party we served this with blue, yellow and white corn chips.

Photo by Rebecca.

No comments:

Post a Comment