Monday, June 29, 2009

Zucchini Pancakes

This is a specialty of my late Aunt Joyce who was a wonderful cook and known for this simple yet delicious recipe. We had two huge zucchinis and besides roasting them or making bread, I was craving these little treats. They are a great side dish but we made them for a mid-morning snack. Yum!

1/2 cup flour
2 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, separated
oil
Butter or ketchup for serving

In a bowl, mix flour, zucchini, salt, pepper and egg yolks. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into zucchini mixture. Drop by heaping tablespoons into about 1/4-inch hot oil in skillet and brown both sides. Serve immediately.



The batter fries in a layer of canola oil. Make you put them on a plate of paper towels to soak up the excess oil.

A crispy fried delight! I prefer to eat mine with butter but ketchup is supposedly good too.

What to do with the rest of the zucchini....mmm...

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of such a food before, but I'll trust you. If you say it's good, it must be good.

    Also, when did I ever not like something that was fried?! :)

    ReplyDelete