Monday, June 1, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

On Saturday, my mom and I went to Strite's Orchard in Harrisburg for the first day of pick-your-own strawberries. We got two containers of very nice strawberries. At $1.85 a pound, we are enjoying sweet, delicious, local berries for a good price! Just be sure to take your own containers if you go.

I also picked up a bunch of rhubarb at Strite's because I've been craving some strawberry rhubarb pie. Last night I final made one and boy, did it hit the spot! I forgot to take a photo of the pie! Darn!
The quick and simple recipe comes from the Farm Women's Cookbook I've referenced before:

Prepare and bake one pie shell. I used the refrigerated Pillsbury pie shells (taste good to me!) that you simply roll into the pie plate, poke the bottom with a fork and then bake for 10 minutes. Or you can make your own pastry if you have the time. Let shell cool.

In a medium saucepan, mix 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 2 stalks chopped rhubarb. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil until mixture is clear. Remove from heat.

Stir in 1 quart (approx.) of halved strawberries (I just halved mine, but you can slice them if you prefer). Pour berries into the prepared pie shell. Let sit until pie cools and then transfer to the refrigerator. Pie is best when served thoroughly chilled. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment