Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chicken Gyros

Last night I made chicken gyros with tzatziki and they were very delicous and sooo quick to make! My Aunt Bet gave me this recipe and I will definitely be making it again! The chicken preparation alone is good to put on a green salad!

And to top it off, this is a healthy meal!

A lot of the ingredients call for "Weis Quality" so I assume this recipe is from the Weis grocery store.

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 glove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 chicken breasts, cubed
salt and pepper to taste
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped (we omitted because we don't like raw onion)
4 pitas
1/2 cup feta cheese

For sauce:
1 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned and juices run clear, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for tzatziki sauce in a small bowl. Stir to blend and set aside.

Warm pitas in a dry skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes and without slicing, fill each pita with 1/4 of ingredients. Fold pita in half and serve with sauce.

We slathered the warm pita with the tzatziki sauce first.

We chopped the small tomatoes from our garden!
These were so good! With lunch time appraoching, I wish I had one to eat today!
'
And this photo has nothing to do with gyros but I had to show it off because it's just too cute! This is Adam with my friend's little girl, Alexandra. The two have become great friends!




1 comment:

  1. Hope-Awesome Blog! Thank you for the great recipes. I will be making some chicken gyros this weekend. Also, congrats on the engagement, very happy for you :-)

    ReplyDelete