Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Minestrone

Minestrone Soup

This soup is inspired by the The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond. She also includes roasted zucchini, yellow squash and mushrooms to add right at the end of the recipe, but I didn't have any on hand (well I did but they weren't lookin too hot after I pulled them from the back of the fridge!).

On Sunday I bought a bag of frozen green beans and a bag of frozen sliced carrots because they were only 87 cents a bag and lucky I did because they came into handy for this soup!

My soup really soaked up the chicken broth so you can either add more than 8 cups or add water at the end if you like more broth.

I even made a special trip to the PA Bakery to get a French baguette. I was really excited to have some good bread and while it was good and we ate it all, it wasn't authentic and made me miss those days when I was studying in Paris and had real baguette every night for dinner. Then again, I don't miss all the weight I gained eating like that but it was so good and I must say, worth it!

Also as you read the recipe, you may think, wow, this sounds bland, but it really is not. The chicken broth gives great flavor as does all the vegetables. It's also key not to over cook the veggies.

Anyway, back to the soup:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 whole carrots, washed and sliced (I used frozen carrot slices)
1/2 medium onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
8 cups chicken broth
2 cans cannelini beans, rinsed
1 cup (heaping) cut green beans, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
1 cup medium or small pasta shells or macaroni, uncooked
1 can (14.5) diced tomatoes with juice
salt and pepper, to taste
¼ teaspoons Turmeric (optional - I didn't use but I am curious to how it would taste.)
Parmesan cheese, shaved

In a heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, and celery and stir to cook for 3 minutes. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for ten minutes.

Add green beans. Cook on low for five minutes. Add pasta and cook for an additional five minutes. Add cannelini beans, canned tomatoes, stir, and cook for an additional five minutes on low heat. Check for seasonings, adding salt, pepper and tumeric if using.

Add roasted vegetables at the very end. Stir and allow to simmer and heat for a few minutes before serving. Be sure to check seasoning! Add more broth if necessary to increase liquid amount.

Serve with Parmesan shavings and crusty Italian bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment