Thursday, January 15, 2009

Crepes for Breakfast

This morning my mom made crepes with the Barefoot Contessa French Crepe Mix. We ate them with blueberries, blackberries, sliced strawberries and bananas, Nutella, whipped cream and powdered sugar. This crepe mix is a bit on the sweet side. In high school and college, I would make crepes but mix up a homemade batter that was less sweet (still being a dessert crepe). A can of this mix costs about $7 and it contains malted wheat flour, sugar, non-fat milk, sea salt and natural flavors. I am not sure what you have to add to the mix but it is a few ingredients.

We used an electric crepe maker but an omlette pan (or larger if you want big crepes) would work well too. After figuring out we hardly need any oil on the Teflon surface (the batter will slide right off with too much), the crepes turned out beautifully.


Sadly, I forgot to take any pictures of our creations. I was too focused on eating them. I'm sure we will make them again soon, at which time I'll take photos to add to this post.

As this was very good and I ate four, I think I would stick to making a homemade batter. With having to add 2 or 3 ingredients to the mix, why not just make your own? However, this mix would make a great gift!

This is a basic recipe that I'd use for sweet crepe batter:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted

(I would add a couple drops of vanilla)

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.

[Recipe from allrecipes.com - Submitted by: JENNYC819]

No comments:

Post a Comment