Monday, January 26, 2009

Traditional Stromboli

My Aunt B made beautiful and delicious strombolis for a family get-together and I asked her for her recipe. I was going to make these for our Super Bowl party but decided to try them last night instead (Super Bowl party we'll have Shredded Beef Sammies).

2 loaves frozen white bread dough
1/4 lb. sliced salami
1/4 lb. shaved deli ham
1/4 lb. sandwich pepperoni (larger circumference than traditional pepperoni)
1/4 lb. sliced provolone cheese
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. parsley
2 tsp. garlic powder
ground pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 egg yolk
Marinara Sauce (we used Prego)

Let bread thaw and rise according to package instructions. Once bread rises, punch down and with a floured rolling pin and counter, roll a loaf into a 15x12 inch rectangle.
Layer, in a row, half of the salami, ham, pepperoni and provolone. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. each of oregano, parsley, garlic powder and pepper. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella.
Roll up lengthwise and fold in ends to seal. Place on a Pam sprayed, foil lined baking sheet, seam side down.
Repeat with the second loaf.
Brush loaves with yolk.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Let sit a few minutes before slicing.
While boli bakes, heat sauce.

The results of a stromboli really depends on what kind of dough you use. The frozen dough I used ended up not rising well. Fresh dough from a bread maker would work well. I am even thinking about going to our favorite pizza shop to ask if we can buy their dough - for this and pizza. I had a lot of trouble rolling the dough out to 15"x12" rectangle. But the dough only needs to be wide enough to make a row of meat and allow enough dough on the ends to seal the roll so this measurement is only a rough guide.

I don't think I would use the yolk wash again. It really didn't do anything exept made the top dark.

The seam did not hold on one of mine because the meat juices and an entire piece of ham made it's way out of the boli when I took it out of the oven.

Overall, this was quite good! My mom, dad, sister and I ate all but 2 pieces of these 2 loaves.

This photo was taken by Bec.


The loaves before the yolk wash and baking.

I forgot to take a photo of the baked loaf. Instead, here is a photo on a plate. Not a clean photo but it's the best I can do when I get hungry and forget about pix!

No comments:

Post a Comment