Sunday, January 25, 2009

Pizza Time!

Friday I made pizza for Greg and I. I originally tried to follow a recipe from Sunny on the Food Network but because I couldn't find so many of her ingredient at the store I went to (namely the foccacia bread, Buffalo mozzarella and dried porcinis) I made up my own:


1 large Italian bread, sliced lengthwise
2 Tablespoon olive oil
1 can Hunt's fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic, mostly drained (too much juice makes bread soggy)
1/2 cup Ragu Organic tomato sauce
1 large ball mozzarella
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup thickly sliced pepperoni
Freshly grated parmesan cheese
A bunch of fresh basil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Place bread halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil, spread on tomato sauce and scatter tomatoes over all. Pull chunks of mozzarella cheese off the ball and scatter over tomatoes. Evenly distribute shredded mozzarella, garlic and pepperoni. Bake 8 minutes or until cheese is melted (edges of bread burn easily).

Remove from oven and immediate sprinkly with parmesan cheese and ripped basil leaves.

Greg got home right as I was putting the basil on the pizza!


Overall, the pizza was a success. In addition to Friday night, Greg ate it throughout the entire day on Saturday. As you can see from the photos, the edges got a little brown. This bread had a really crispy crust.

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are especially nice... you were right when you said I would be impressed! :)

    ReplyDelete