Thursday, July 29, 2010

Peach Triffle with Lemon Mousse

This dessert is featured on the last page of the Martha Stewart Living magazine for August 2010. I usually don't like the way triffles look - usually messy and unappetizing but the photo of this triffle looked so good! And because I love lemon curd and whipped cream, the two together with warm peaches sounded perfect!
'
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plust 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
Salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
3 1/2 pounds stone fruit, such as peaches, nectarines or plums (about 8), halved, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges - I used white peaches. I peeled most of the skin off because I don't like fuzzy peach skin.
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 loaf homemade or store bought pound or sponge cake, sliced 1/2 inch thick - I used a bakery-bought shortcake

Whisk together 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, the yolks, wine, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer, stirring until thick, 3-5 minutes.

Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl (I did not do this because I don't have a sieve but it really is needed). Stir in grated zest. Gradually whisk in butter until smooth. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd. Refrigerate until set, about 1 hour or up to 2 days.

Preheat overn to 425 degrees. Toss fruit with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Roast fruit on a rimmed baking sheet (may need 2 sheets), rotating their positions halfway through, until caramelized and juicy, 15-17 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, with juices. Let cool slightly.

Whisk (I used an electric hand mixer) cream until soft peaks form. Whisk curd to loosen. Working in 3 additions, fold whipped cream into curd.
'
Layer a third of the cake in the bottom of a 12-cup bowl, or a footed triffle bowl. Cover with a third of the lemon mousse. Spoon a third of the roasted fruit over lemon mousse. Repeat twice. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 1 day.

I did not assemble the entire dessert. I just made two individual servings and then saved the rest to assemble single servings later. This works well too if you're not feeding a crowd!


I used shortcake from the PA Bakery. I am having some cake by itself right now for breakfast and it's very tasty alone!
[

;

1 comment:

  1. Please move in with me to my new house and cook for me. Pllllleeeeassse!

    ReplyDelete