Monday, October 18, 2010

City Tavern, Philadelphia


Backing up to two weekends ago, Sunday October 10, Adam and I were walking around Olde City of Philadelphia when we decided to have lunch at the City Tavern. As you remember, I have met the head chef, Walter Staib, 3 times - twice at Taste of the Nation and once in Hershey. I have two of his cookbooks and am a fan of his 18th century cuisine.
-
Usually I only talk about dining experiences that I love but this time, I wanted to write about this tourist trap. The ambience of the City Tavern is beyond charming: The waitress and hosts were period outfits, you drink out of pewter cups and enjoy your meal in the beautiful old building.
Sadly, our dining experience was less than stellar. We had soup and salads and they were very mediocre and over priced. As you can see in the turkey noodle soup photo below, the chicken was of the cubed, preprocessed variety, which totally grosses me out.
0
So if you're debating this restaurant, I recommend going for drink and/or dinner. The raspberry shrub and the tavern cooler, along with the homemade breads were wonderful!! I ate here a few years ago, had the rabbit for dinner and loved it!

Adam perusing the menu

The dining room

Cute table setting - you will see the bread and
my raspberry shrub (vinegar, sugar, water and champagne)


Turkey noodle soup

Apple cider with rum, brandy and whiskey
I have to remember this combo!
7

1 comment:

  1. Hello Hope,

    Just wanted to make sure you received the notification about you being the winner for last's week's SpicesINC set! http://www.foodieblogroll.com/contests/comment-to-win-sets-of-spicesinc-spices-winners-for-october-15-2010

    Please, get in touch with us at support@foodieblogroll.com with your contact details so we can have the sponsor send you the prize.

    Thanks!

    The Foodie Blogroll

    ReplyDelete