Thursday, April 16, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes

Since we were having a 5:00 dinner on Sunday and didn't go to our church's Easter breakfast, I decided to whip up these pancakes. In all honesty, I just wanted to make plain pancakes using Bisquik and toss in a few chocolate chips but since we were all out of Bisquik and chocolate, I looked for a pancake recipe. In the Society of Farm Women of Pennsylvania cookbook, I found a whole wheat pancake recipe and I had whole wheat flour so I was set! These cakes topped with butter, powdered sugar ans syrup, with a side of turkey bacon, held us over until dinner.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

Mix all together. Pour desired amount onto a hot, buttered griddle. Cook on both sides til browned to your liking.

Here by bother is giving them a thumb up... but that was before he tried them. He thought they were bland. So maybe you could add a little more sugar and a touch of vanilla extract. Also, Adam and I don't like syrup so we just use butter and sugar... I am sure smothering them in syrup - like the other breakfasters did - would make them quite flavorful!

No comments:

Post a Comment