Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Martha's Watermelon Bloody Marys

I was going through the July edition of Martha Stewart Living, marking the pages of recipes I want to try. I marked the watermelon bloody marys, not knowing when I'd make them, but that I was very interested in the watermelon-tomato combo. When I got home from the gym yesterday, my momma had these drinks whipped up and waiting for us for dinner. A sweet hint to a classic!

Makes 4 drinks

8 cups watermelon chunks, plus pieces, for serving
1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
Ice, for serving
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
13 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 to 1 1/4 cups vodka
Celery stalks, for serving
D
Working in batches, puree watermelon (with seeds) and sugar in blender. Strain into a bowl through a fine sieve, pressing with a rubber spatula; discard solids. (You will have 5 1/2 cups juice.)

Stir 3 cups watermelon juice with tomato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and celery seeds in a bowl set in a larger bowl of ice. Season with pepper. Stir in vodka and divide among 4 ice-filled glasses.

Garnish with a piece of watermelon (we didn't do this) and a celery stalk.
j

Gotta give my mom credit for this! She is a great cook!
l
l

1 comment:

  1. Great cook is an understatement. She's my inspiration in the kitchen (well my original inspiration... before you got your sea legs)!

    ReplyDelete