Friday, August 28, 2009

Fresh Salsa

So do you all remember my mom and I growing vegetable plants from seed? Well look at the fruits of our labor!!!:




We were pleasantly surprised to have a huge watermelon plant because we didn't plant it. We did plant yellow squash but none of them took off. But the Roma tomatoes, cucumbers and green peppers are magnificently abundant!

With all those tomatoes I decided to try my hand at some salsa.

The ingredients:

white onion
green pepper
garlic cloves
jalapeno pepper
Roma tomatoes
cilantro
lots of salt and pepper

First, I roughly chopped the ingredients (except the lime) and took the seeds and center from the tomatoes.


Then in a food processor, I added the onion, peppers, garlic, cilantro and just a handful of tomatoes and coarsely pulsed it all. I then put that in a large bowl and added the juice of a lime and salt and pepper. Next I filled the food processing bowl with tomatoes and pulsed them so they're a tad chunkier than the peppers and onions. Then mixed everything together and continued to adjust the salt and pepper.


The finished product! I think it will taste much better after it's refrigerated overnight.

We still have a lot of tomatoes left so I think my mom is going to make some tomato juice and as long as they last until next weekend, I want to make bruschetta for our Labor Day party.

No comments:

Post a Comment