Monday, February 9, 2009

Healthier Beef Stroganoff

Sadly, here is another post without a picture. I didn't have my camera, but I really enjoyed this simple meal, so I thought I'd add it any way. The multigrain noodles reduce carbs and give the dish a richer taste.

This recipe is from the Real Simple February 2009 magazine. My changes, are in parenthesis or italics.

12 ounces multigrain noodles (Greg's mom suggests serving over rice, which I will try the next time - less struggling to keep on the fork than these noodles)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and pepper
1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
4 shallots, sliced (used a white onion)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (used plain sour cream)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (didn't use)

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In 2 batches, cook the steak until browned, about 1 minute per side (I cooked it a lot longer than this - it could have been because my slices were rather large. I cooked it to a medium doneness); transfer to a plate.

Return the skillet to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the mushrooms and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes.

Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the skillet and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. At this point, I stirred in the sour cream and let it simmer for 30 minutes. I think it helped let the flavors mix and made the beef more tender.

As the meat simmers, cook noodles according to package directions. If you're not letting the meat simmer, start boiling the water before you brown the meat.

Serve over the noodles and top with the yogurt (or sour cream if you didn't mix it in) and dill.

If I would make it again, I would use the Greek yogurt (it has less fat). The only reason I didn't this time, is because I had sour cream already in the frige.

This is the photo from the website. If you can picture sour cream mixed in with the beef, that's what mine looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment